Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tread Lightly

This morning Liz was watching Martha Stewart and I watched a segment with a Doctor on pollution in the pacific ocean. He was visiting the island of Midway and found various plastic items inside the carcasses of dead birds on the beach. It reminded me of the debris on Old Orchard Beach last Spring just a week before the start of the rental season. Here are two pictures that I took back then. The first one I call "Tread Lightly". It highlights two pieces of a decaying boot sole as well as some sort of hypodermic needle. These items all washed up on the shore in a storm surge. We have a responsibility to leave our lands and oceans better than we found them for all of our children and the generations that will follow them.The second one I call "Lighter Litter". I don't know if it was in the storm surge, or just a disposable lighter that someone spent while walking the beach, but either way, it was where it didn't belong. If you look to the right of the focal blade of grass in the foreground, you'll see a brighter green object. That's the lighter.

No comments: